The Diatlovo region is located in the south-east of Grodno oblast. It was founded on January 15, 1940. The area of the region is 1,500 square km. The population is 34,300 people with urban dwellers accounting for 47%. The average density of population is 23 people per 1 square km. The town of Diatlovo is the regional centre. The region includes the towns of Kozlovschina, Novoyelnia and Gezgaly, 223 villages and 13 rural councils.
In the north and west the region lies in the Neman hollow, in the east – by the piedmont of the Novogrudok upland. The relief is flat with predominating heights of 140-200 meters above sea level. The highest point (283 meters above sea level) is located to the North-East of Diatlovo town.
Mineral deposits: peat, sand and gravel, mortar sands, chalk, clays, gyttias, radon waters.
There is the River Neman with tributaries Molchad (flows into the Gezgalovskoye dam pond), Diatlovka, Schara and Podyavorka. The forests are prevailingly coniferous, occupy 42% of the region territory. The soils are sod-podzol, swamped sod-podzol, cespitose and cespitose-carbonaceous. The total area of farmland makes 66,100 hectares, with dried lands amounting to 14,600 hectares.
The region’s agriculture is represented by 15 agricultural production cooperatives. The main branches of the agriculture are meat and dairy production, potato planting, cereals and forage crops, flax.
There are food and light industry companies in the region along with companies, which produce construction materials, and woodworking companies.
The railroad Lida-Baranovichi, the motorway Lida-Slonim-Byten, the national motorway Diatlovo-Novogrudok-Liubcha pass through the region.
In the region there are 17 secondary schools, 5 basic schools, 1 primary school, 1 gymnasium, Kozlovschina State Vocational-Technical School No. 191, 19 preschool facilities, 28 community centres, 38 libraries, 3 hospitals, 28 paramedic-midwife stations, national tuberculosis hospital Novoyelnia, Radon Sanatorium branch of Belagrozdravnitsa enterprise, children’s recreational centre Borovichok and children’s sanatorium Lastochka.
A history and local lore museum has been working in the town of Diatlovo since 1966.
Specimen of architecture: Transfiguration Church in the town of Diatlovo (1839), Blessed Virgin Mary Assumption Cathedral in the town of Diatlovo (1648); St Peter and Paul’s Church in the village of Venzovets (1875), Holy Cross Exaltation Church in the village of Voinevichi (1897), Corpus Cristi Cathedral in the village of Dvorets (1904), Holy Protection Church in the village of Dvorets (the early 20th century), Sanctifier Nicholas the Thaumaturge’s Church in the village of Novgorodovichi (the second half of the 19th century), Church of Saint Martyrs, Blessed Princes Boris and Gleb in the village of Nakryshki (1836), St Guardian Angels Cathedral in the village of Rogotno (the 19th century), a mansion of Ignatiy Domeyka in the village of Zhiborty (1819)